Research data management training for Oxford researchers is offered by a number of providers, including the IT Learning Programme, the Bodleian Library, other University libraries, and academic divisions and departments.
Training covers the whole of the research data lifecycle. For example:
- Get an overview of the whole topic with a face-to-face introduction to the MANTRA course.
- Learn about DMPs at Research Data Management Planning: An Introduction for Researchers.
- Find out how to keep things safe by Backing Up Your Data to the HFS.
- Explore some of the options for organising, structuring, and analysing your data:
- Gain knowledge of the Concepts of Database Design, or of specific database packages such as Access, ORDS, or MySQL.
- Get an introduction to a specific tool or technology, including NVivo, R, Matlab, Blender, and many others, or to an area such as Data Visualisation.
- Discover the University’s high performance computing facilities with an Introduction to ARC.
- Keep your bibliographic data tidy with Referencing: Choosing and Using Software.
- Learn about consent, confidentiality, and access conditions at Working with Sensitive Data.
- Attend a course that focuses on your subject area – for example, Managing Social Science Research Data. A variety of discipline-specific events are organised in divisions and departments – these are usually advertised to their members on a termly basis.
- Find out about some longer term options at Discovering and Depositing Social Science Research Data. Other divisions also offer relevant training – again, this is usually advertised internally.
- Learn more about depositing data at an ORA/ORA-Data Drop In Session. These happen 11.30am-1.30pm of every Monday in term-time, in the Centre for Digital Scholarship at the Weston Library.
Research data support staff are also available to provide customised training – anything from a short presentation for an induction session, to a lunchtime talk with Q&A, to a half-day workshop. The subject matter can be tailored as appropriate. If you would like to arrange something for your division, department, or research group, please email email@example.com to discuss your requirements.
Data training calendar
The calendar below pulls together details of upcoming data-related training courses across the University. If you’re aware of other training that should be included here, please send details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about online courses, see the main Training materials page.