IT Services enables departments, colleges, and individual members to obtain a variety of software products. For the full list, please see the How to Get Software page. Please note that some software may be restricted to members of specific departments.
Software for data analysis
- CasaXPS - CasaXPS processing software offers powerful analysis techniques for both spectral and imaging data.
- ENVI - (an acronym for 'ENvironment for Visualizing Images') is a software application used to process and analyse geospatial imagery. It is commonly used by remote sensing professionals and image analysts.
- ERDAS IMAGINE - a remote sensing application with raster graphics editor abilities designed by ERDAS for geospatial applications. Imagine is aimed mainly at geospatial raster data processing and allows users to prepare, display and enhance digital images for mapping use in geographic information system (GIS) and computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- LabVIEW - a system-design platform and development environment for a visual programming language from National Instruments.
- Mathematica - a mathematical symbolic computation program, sometimes termed a computer algebra system or program, used in many scientific, engineering, mathematical, and computing fields.
- MATLAB - a multi-paradigm numerical computing environment and fourth-generation programming language. A proprietary programming language developed by MathWorks, MATLAB allows matrix manipulations, plotting of functions and data, implementation of algorithms, creation of user interfaces, and interfacing with programs written in other languages, including C, C++, C#, Java, Fortran and Python.
- NAG - a software library of numerical analysis routines, containing more than 1,700 mathematical and statistical algorithms. Areas covered by the library include linear algebra, optimisation, quadrature, the solution of ordinary and partial differential equations, regression analysis, and time series analysis.
- NVivo - a qualitative data analysis (QDA) computer software package produced by QSR International. It has been designed for qualitative researchers working with very rich text-based and/or multimedia information, where deep levels of analysis on small or large volumes of data are required.
- OxMetrics - a family of software packages for the econometric and financial analysis of time series, forecasting, econometric model selection, and for the statistical analysis of cross-sectional data and panel data.
- R - a programming language and free software environment for statistical computing and graphics; widely used among statisticians and data miners for developing statistical software and data analysis (available on the ARC systems; can also be obtained as a free open source resource).
- SAS - a software suite developed by SAS Institute for advanced analytics, multivariate analyses, business intelligence, data management, and predictive analytics.
- SPSS (‘SPSS’, ‘AMOS’, ‘Text Analytics for Surveys’ and ‘Data Collection and Survey Visualization’) - a software package used for logical batched and non-batched statistical analysis.
- Stata - a general-purpose statistical software package. Stata's capabilities include data management, statistical analysis, graphics, simulations, regression, and custom programming.
Software for data security
- Sophos - products for communication endpoint, encryption, network security, email security, mobile security, and unified threat management.
Software for data visualisation
- ArcGIS - a geographic information system (GIS) for working with maps and geographic information. It is used for creating and using maps, compiling geographic data, analysing mapped information, sharing and discovering geographic information, using maps and geographic information in a range of applications, and managing geographic information in a database.
- Crystalmaker Suite (CrystalMaker, CrystalDiffract, SingleCrystal) - CrystalMaker is a program for building, displaying and manipulating all kinds of crystal and molecular structures.
- MAPLE - a symbolic and numeric computing environment, and also a multi-paradigm programming language. MAPLE also covers other aspects of technical computing, including visualisation, data analysis, matrix computation, and connectivity.
- SigmaPlot - a proprietary software package for scientific graphing and data analysis.
Please note that while efforts have been made to keep this list up to date, the range of software available may change from time to time: please visit the page linked to above for the latest information.